On Friday 22nd November, VMware released version 5.3 of its Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) product Horizon View. With this release, VMware also updated the View clients to version 2.2.
Version 5.3 provides the following new features and support as detailed in the release notes:
- Windows Server 2008 R2 Desktop Operating System Support, interesting for companies who want to provide DaaS under the SPLA licensing terms from Microsoft.
- Windows 8.1 Desktop Operating System Support
- Use VMware Horizon Mirage to manage View desktops
- Virtual SAN Datastore Support
- Memory Recommendation messages
- Virtual Dedicated Graphics Acceleration (vDGA) support
- Linked-Clone Desktop Pool Storage Overcommit Feature Enhancements
- View Persona Management Supportability Improvements
- Ability to add the Administrators group to redirected folders
- View Agent Direct-Connection Plug-in
- View Composer Array Integration Support
- Support for up to 350 connections in the Blast Secure Gateway
More information about the 2.2. versions of the View clients can be found here: VMware Horizon View Clients Documentation